Regardless of age or gender around 80 per cent of the population will suffer from lower back pain at some time in their life!
The lower back, otherwise known as the lumbar spine separates the pelvis and thorax, allowing for mobility between the two and provides points of attachment for many muscles.
Back pain is commonly triggered by:
- Long periods of sitting or standing
- Heavy lifting
- Irregularity, irritable bowel and endometriosis
- Menstrual pain
- Inadequate flexibility
- Weak muscles
- Dysfunction in the thorax, lower limbs and pelvis.
There are numerous reasons for pain in the lower back. Our Diamond Creek Osteopaths, as primary health care practitioners, are trained to differentiate between uncomplicated back pain and back pain needing referral to specialist care such as fracture, tumour and infection.
Common Lower Back Injuries seen at Osteo for Families Diamond Creek
Joint Sprain: Overstretching of the ligaments connecting one vertebrae to another typically caused by a sudden and quick movement of the spine. This results in pain, inflammation and tightening of the surrounding muscles.
Disc bulge: Refers to compression of the disc, a soft material which sits between each vertebrae and allows for flexibility and absorbs compressive loads. Due to the small amount of blood supply here healing times are longer. In some cases this may be accompanied by irritation/compression of an adjacent nerve leading the symptoms such as numbness, weakness, tingling and pins and needles.
Arthritis: Degeneration of the spine due to long term wear and tear leading to stiffness and restricted mobility.
Osteo For Families practitioners will assist you in developing the most reliable strategies to resolve and manage your back pain. Our aim is to:
- Enhance joint mobility
- Decrease muscular tightness, stress, swelling and nerve irritation
- Improve blood supply and drainage to and from the spine and hips
- Reduce the period of lower back pain episodes
- Help prevent future episodes by offering recommendations on posture (including enhancing your ergonomic environment), exercises and stretching
- Offer guidance on diet plan, hydration and exercise
- Refer for radiological or specialist assessment if required
If you or someone you know is suffering from low back pain of any type, please do not hesitate to give Osteo For Families Diamond Creek and Darwin a call on 0416 161 411 to make an appointment.