HOW OSTEOPATHY CAN HELP WITH NECK PAIN; WHAT IS NECK PAIN AND WHAT CAUSES NECK PAIN
It is no surprise that neck pain is one of the most common conditions that people present with in our clinic.
Unfortunately neck pain will affect most people at some point in their lives.
Where Neck Pain Comes From?
The neck is a complex structure of bones, muscles, ligaments, blood vessels, nerves and all the connective tissue that surrounds it.
It supports your head and protects your spinal cord running down through the vertebrae.
Your neck needs to be mobile and strong in order to offer the support it needs but this also means that it rarely gets a rest and therefore can be quite sensitive to any stress or strain.
Common Symptoms of Neck Pain –
- Stiffness (a reduction in movement and flexibility)
- Tension or pain (particularly in the shoulders and up into the back of the head)
- Muscle spasm
- Sharp pain going down one arm (can be tingling due to an irritated nerve)
Common Causes of Neck Pain –
- Trauma: sudden jerking movement to the neck often caused from a motor vehicle accident (whiplash) or sporting injury (ie. A high tackle).
- Poor Sleeping Posture: temporary stiffness and pain. Turning your head to one side can be painful which can travel to the shoulder and the muscle may go into spasm.
- Postural Strain: can be caused by standing or sitting in a slouched position or working with your head down for long periods.
- Degeneration of the Cervical spine or bulging discs: Referred to as Osteoarthritis which can affect anyone. It is the most common type of arthritis and is the result of altered usage of the joints of the body over prolonged periods of time. A bulging disc which sits in between the vertebral joints can also irritate a nerve.
Neck pain can occur gradually, or it can come on suddenly.
Our Osteopaths will conduct a thorough history and assessment to determine exactly what is causing your neck pain and decipher if it is necessary for further investigation.
If necessary, we will refer you to an appropriate medical professional if we don’t believe Osteopathy can settle your neck pain.
Osteopaths use gentle, hands on approach to treatment using a range of techniques to settle inflammation and encourage movement.
For more information about our ‘hands on’ approach click here https://www.osteo4families.com.au/
Otherwise to book an appointment click here https://osteo4families.cliniko.com/bookings#location